Sunday, May 27, 2007

Granville Island


Rain. I LOVE the rain! The air smells so much fresher, the leaves become so much greener, the sound of it against the roof relaxes and calms me.

Unfortunately, photographing in it is completely different.

Very rarely (if ever) do any of my couples (especially my brides) want to be outside in it when we're photographing... and understandably so.

However, last week I had scheduled several engagement shoots. I had emailed each of my couples the day before and warned them that it would rain the next day and asked if they wanted to postpone. Each of them said "absolutely not!" In that instant I got really excited! Finally! I get to do some really creative things in the rain! I was picturing my couples sopping wet, hair stuck to their faces and water droplets rolling down their cheeks! How romantic! I couldn't WAIT!

I suggested Granville Island because there are quite a few undercover sections (including under the bridge itself). Fortunately for my couples they remained dry while set against some fun and interesting backdrops. Interestingly enough, the rain even stopped! All of them had so much fun! They were such great sports about getting out in the cold and miserable dampness.
Unfortunately for me, I didn't get the shots I wanted of my couples sopping wet... but this is Vancouver... it's only a matter of time. All I need is another couple who are willing to take a chance and do something completely different! ... any takers out there?...